If you've enjoyed this blog, please consider making a donation using the PayPal button. All money received will be used to make short films, podcasts, documentaries, comedy sketches and more. In return for your donations everything will be available to enjoy for free. Thanks in advance.

Wednesday, 4 September 2013

Wednesday 4th September

I felt on top of the world yesterday, having had twelve hours sleep last night. Most of today was spent working on the documentary film about The Sunday Alternative, which started life as a ridiculous idea that won’t go anywhere but now has a structure and has become my new pet project. It is going to involve the use of ‘talking heads’, both from the media and the public, talking about the show and what it means to them. I will also film some stuff on location in the city centre and in Bulwell, as that it where the show is made. If there’s time to do it, I also want to go to Ollerton to revisit the Sherwood Radio studio. The Sunday Alternative was born out of the Tuesday night show that I did there, although the show didn’t really have a name at the time and only got called The Sunday Alternative at the very last minute because I had to think of a name to go on Trent Sound’s website. For a last minute decision I am glad that I did, as the name is now a recognized brand entering its second year of operation. The name is something that I want to eventually make better use of with regards to branching out away from the radio show, as I own the rights to the name so even if I leave Trent Sound (won’t be the first time) I can take the name anywhere including another radio station. Because I am known primarily for the show on a Sunday, I would really have to do the show on a Sunday wherever I took it, unless I really wanted to be alternative.

As the second anniversary show is this week, I regret not thinking of this sooner to be honest, as to have had the finished film ready in time would have been brilliant. Nobody, no matter how good they are, (and I don’t rate my own ability*) can make a film in less than seven days. Had I thought about it with time to spend then I would have tried to arrange a public screening on the Sunday afternoon prior to running off to the studio to present the show. Alas, it wasn’t to be. Perhaps it’ll be ready for the Christmas special on December 22nd? How cool would that be?

*It might surprise a lot of people, but I have no self-confidence and am never happy with anything I produce. Unless I really have to for whatever reason, I don’t listen to the shows again, (although I keep a copy in my archive) as I don’t like what I hear and find faults. It’s a perfectionist thing, I always feel as if I could have been better and even if I work in radio until I’m 100 I will always be dissatisfied with myself. On the other hand, I know that I am turning out great shows, especially as far as the music is concerned, but I will always think that I’m rubbish.


Yesterday evening was my regular appointment at ROFL Audio for an exclusive session for Robin Hood Radio, which is a project that is going really well. I’m proud to be a wheel in Nottingham’s musical juggernaut and to be able to give so many great musicians their first play in America is indeed a gift.


Emma Bladon Jones was this week’s guest, and will be broadcast as part of the show this coming weekend. I’ve seen Emma a handful of times and absolutely love her voice, and was pleased when she agreed to take part in this project. She is also part of the bill for something I’m organising in October, which I’m keeping a secret until fully sorted so the idea isn’t stolen. This week’s session was over quite quickly, so we’re obviously getting good at this. Looking through my diary, I noticed that I have only had women playing so far. This chain will break next week when Josh Kemp takes his turn to dazzle American radio listeners. Josh will be striking a blow for sexual equality by becoming The Sound Of Nottingham UK’s first male performer, perhaps a statue will be erected outside the studio in his honour for his ground breaking work in breaking down this barrier.


===

My daily blog can be delivered straight to your Kindle for 99p a month (link)