Josh Kemp is someone that I’ve
said nice things about time and time again, and for the second time I had the
pleasure of working with again today. We had him on NottinghamLIVE in March and
it remains one of our favourites. It was only about a year and a half ago that
he got in touch with Trent Sound to ask if he could come in and play some
songs, and ended up spending more time there than some of the presenters. Last
year he performed just over 200 gigs, and will probably match that total again
this year, or maybe even beat it. The launch gig for his latest EP Sofa Surfin’ at The Malt Cross was one of my gigs of the
year, and he was one of the highlights of Trent Sound’s Our Big Gig at the
Arboretum in July. It is people with this kind of work ethic that deserve every
bit of success that comes his way.
He was one of the first people
to commit to doing a session for Robin Hood Radio, and tonight was his night. I
had been looking forward to it and my expectations were justified. It didn’t
take him long to get set up, and sound checked in the time it took to eat the ‘meal
deal’ sandwich, crisps, and bottle of Coke that I had brought along. He
performed five songs back to back and then we had a break for tea and biscuits,
toilet and cigarette breaks (just me on that last one) and sat around in the
control room. Myself, Josh, Josh’s girlfriend Becky, Joe and Dave the sound
engineers had a conversation that somehow descended into the toilet. I had
turned up feeling somewhat skittish due to either lack of sleep or too much
sleep, and among other things drew a picture of The Simpsons and stuck it on
the wall. When it was time for the two of us to go back into the studio, we
were in high spirits and I suddenly forgot how to conduct an interview.
Eventually we got it recorded; Josh is a brilliant interviewee who has plenty
to say, and we have a mildly entertaining outtakes recording of our attempts to
get the interview recorded.
Have a listen, contains strong
language and a ridiculous laugh.
===
My daily blog can be delivered straight to your Kindle
for 99p a month (link)
I'm raising money to make a film about The Sunday Alternative and put on a free screening, please read my latest newsletter.
