If you've enjoyed this blog, please consider making a donation using the PayPal button. All money received will be used to make short films, podcasts, documentaries, comedy sketches and more. In return for your donations everything will be available to enjoy for free. Thanks in advance.

Monday, 9 September 2013

Monday 9th September

The show last night went like a dream, one of those dreams you have where all of your music is in place and you can get into the studio. I had been a nervous wreck (inside, cool on the outside) all day about what could go wrong, and turned up at the studio at six o’clock to go through some final checks. It was a bit of a kick in the teeth that none of the people that helped to make The Sunday Alternative grow over the last two years could make it along to share in the celebration. To be fair, Chris Underwood and Penny Reeve did send recorded messages to play during the show, but it would have been nice to have taken a group photo of all Alternative alumni. I emailed and texted Erik Petersen to invite him along, or record a message if he couldn’t make it, I didn’t hear back from him to let me know either way. Erik used to operate like this when he co-presented the show, so I wasn’t too fazed by it. Inevitably, he neither made an appearance nor sent a message. The appearance of former members of the team would have also been a good addition to the film.

The highlight of the show was right at the beginning with the live rendition of the show’s theme tune. It was written and performed by Gary and Craig Barwell when the show made its comeback in April, (the five month gap in broadcasting does not count, it is still the birthday of the show) and Gary brought his ukulele along and we sang it together. We didn’t have a camera with us last night, and so are going to fake those scenes again at a later date for inclusion in the film.

We had a brilliant show, and riffed on several topics although kept coming back to blatantly mentioning products and making it clear that we didn’t want to be sent freebies, when the underline meaning was that we actually did want to be sent freebies. I like to think of it as a satire on how people abuse their position sometimes in order to feather their own nest. It started from the fact that I wore the same shirt that I wore for the very first show in order to recreate the publicity photo. The shirt was a Paul Smith, which tied in nicely seeing as both Paul Smith and The Sunday Alternative are Nottingham products that are enjoyed all over the world. Maybe they should sponsor the show and provide us with clothes to wear for the videos and photographs that go on the blog?

On the way home, Gary and I threw around an idea that Gary had for a new radio show format which we will try to pitch to Trent Sound as Bank Holiday specials. I won’t go into details because of my knack of having ideas stolen, but it’s an idea that has legs and if we get it written and recorded could go out on Boxing Day. In theory we should have plenty of time to do it, but time does have a nasty habit of catching up with me and messing up my plans. I emailed the pitch to the boss of Trent Sound and he sent back a one line answer that it sounded like a brilliant idea, thus the green light has been shone on the next venture. If I’d suggested it to the BBC I might not have heard back from them at all, after all it is thanks to the lazy way they run things at the beeb that The Sunday Alternative still isn’t a 6Music show.

===


My daily blog can be delivered straight to your Kindle for 99p a month (link)
I'm raising money to make a film about The Sunday Alternative and put on a free screening, please read my latest newsletter.