If you've enjoyed this blog, please consider making a donation using the PayPal button. All money received will be used to make short films, podcasts, documentaries, comedy sketches and more. In return for your donations everything will be available to enjoy for free. Thanks in advance.

Sunday, 8 September 2013

Sunday 8th September

Today was a big day for me and I had intended to wake up earlier than usual to get myself prepared. It is the second anniversary of The Sunday Alternative today, which was a big deal and I didn’t want anything to go wrong. I didn’t wake up until eleven o’clock, which was an hour later than I had set the alarm for, so I put the kettle on and fired up the computer.

I am starting to lose faith in Facebook as a social networking site. The problem seems to have started when event pages became the number one way to communicate and advertise, leading to overkill. To be honest, I am still mystified at why Facebook became so popular in the first place given that it flits between a business page for bands and an annoyance of people sending requests to play Farmville or throwing sheep at you. I know Myspace is dead in the water after committing suicide by changing the format, but nothing has come along to replace it, so it bewilders me that Facebook has this year managed to make a comeback. My main argument with Facebook is the total lack of the ‘social’ element.

When I’m listening to the radio, I often get in touch with the show and attempt to join in by sending jokes or answering trivia questions. Over the years of listening to the radio I have managed to hone the ability to listen to the radio and type on my laptop at the same time. This would appear to be a dying art though, as nobody on my Facebook seems to be capable of this multi-task. I received a few messages on Twitter* but Facebook remained quiet.

*I always tell people to imagine Twitter as a new version of Facebook that allows you to type a status update without the inconvenience of blocking game invitations.

Interaction is an important part of live radio, as it helps you to develop ideas on air. My so-called Facebook friends list must just sit there listening without the inclination. It isn’t just my show though, I’ve noticed that participation is lacking across the board; some people still haven’t joined the radio show page since being invited when the show started in 2011.

===


My daily blog can be delivered straight to your Kindle for 99p a month (link)