If you've enjoyed this blog, please consider making a donation using the PayPal button. All money received will be used to make short films, podcasts, documentaries, comedy sketches and more. In return for your donations everything will be available to enjoy for free. Thanks in advance.

Monday 5 October 2015


Last night's Notts Factor victors 94 Gunships went home last night with £500, a backdrop made by Fast Graphics (owned by Tony Bates who created Notts Factor), a gig at Bodega and a spot at next summer's Waterfront Festival, so they didn't have a bad day at the office. I was pleased they won and although I wanted it there were four other judges who had their say and were scoring with me so it was a joint decision based on what it was we saw and heard on stage. Given that it was a team decision I assume that all of the judges were unfollowed on Twitter by two of the acts that didn't win. 

My Twitter follower count fluctuates much to my annoyance and I still have the word 'underfollowed' as part of my bio on there. A pattern has formed where I gain a handful of new people over the weekend only to shed them bit by bit during the week. So to lose two in one day was irritating and especially so when I realised who it was (I have a tracking thing to monitor such activity). I have met Oscar Speed a couple of times and been supportive of him to the point of giving him a live session on my American radio show, and Papershop Dave is a band I have been vaguely aware of although they either don't gig a lot or I haven't seen them. Without checking my records I would imagine that I have played them on the radio at some point so I can't be accused of not liking them. 

When you enter a competition with more than one entrant there has to be the possibility that you won't win. Seven musicians/bands took part in the contest so everyone had a one in seven chance of winning, so I find this type of behaviour a tad childish. Did they unfollow me because they blame me for their failure when maybe it is something to do with not being strong enough to warrant a sufficiently high score. If that is the case then if I was in their position I would take stock and see how I could make myself better as a performer. The wrong thing for a none-winner to do is behave in this way because it just makes them look ridiculous, like a child picking up his ball and storming off. 

The Sunday Alternative Podcast #58 is available from here

===

October Housekeeping

Donations have slowed down a bit and this has had an adverse effect on filming plans. Ideas are waiting to become reality so please do consider making a donation using the PayPal button above.

In return for your gift I will make entertainment that I will put online to be enjoyed free of charge by everyone. Comedy sketches, documentaries, short films and podcasts are waiting to be made so dig deep.

You get 365 blogs a year, a weekly podcast and a forthcoming Nottingham music podcast (at Christmas) free of charge already.

Some ways to help:

You can have a kazoo cover dedicated to you.
Beat the 5p carrier bag charge here (and check out other goodies)
Download my audio books here.