If you've enjoyed this blog, please consider making a donation using the PayPal button. All money received will be used to make short films, podcasts, documentaries, comedy sketches and more. In return for your donations everything will be available to enjoy for free. Thanks in advance.

Friday, 6 September 2013

Friday 6th September

Although I do tend to weigh up the potential dangers first, such as the threat of being stabbed or shot by today’s feral youth, I am quick to complain if I feel that someone isn’t behaving correctly. If I’m crossing the road and a driver forgets to indicate I will point it out, usually by sarcastically telling them that their indicators aren’t working. Bad customer service is something that I especially have a problem with, and will complain until I am satisfied that things have been dealt with.

It is a clichéd view that in this country we deal with things by tutting and firing disapproving looks. I like to think that I am helping to break this stereotype down. People dropping litter is a particular peeve, especially if there’s a bin nearby, and I will express my annoyance with offenders. If more people did this, then the power would go back to the nice people, instead of the anti-social members of society intimidating everyone into complacency.

The worst thing in the world is being on a bus, train, or tram and some skid-mark on the underpants of society is playing music too loud, sometimes without headphones. It is never someone with a decent taste in music either; it is always a terrible din that sounds like a car alarm having violent sexual intercourse with a 1980s computer game. People sit on the bus with their blood boiling rather than politely asking them to tone it down. My stock response in the first instance is to ask if their headphones are plugged in properly, this is a question that goes over the heads of the brainless morons who think that I’m the stupid one.  Eventually I will ask them to turn their infernal shite off for the sake of everyone else on the bus, and everyone else on the bus secretly thinks I’m a hero for bringing on some peace and quiet. I had the opportunity today to bring quiet to the bus and become the bus hero once again, but it all went a little bit wrong.

A young mother was sitting with a baby in a pushchair in that section at the front of the bus, and I was standing next to them. The baby didn’t stop crying for the entire journey, and even having my music on loud didn’t drown out the noise. The baby’s mother just half-heartedly rocked the pram and made shushing sounds. Now before I continue I feel as if I need to make a few points clear; I do not hate children or babies, I am a parent myself and can remember that babies cry to communicate that they need something, I know that babies always seem to know when it is the most inconvenient time to cry. When Emily was a baby she used to cry, she also used to stop crying. Maybe she needed feeding I used to think, so I would give her a bottle and if she wanted milk she would stop crying. Maybe she wanted reassurance that her dad was still there, and wanted to feel that warmth and security that being cuddled brings I used to think, and pick her out of her pram and hold her. If we were on public transport, or in a public place, I would try to get to the bottom of her crying as soon as possible. The one thing I didn’t do was let her carry on crying. Some people, (who obviously don’t have and should never be allowed children) advocate leaving the baby to cry, these people are wrong.

I reasoned that my fellow bus passengers appreciate it when I stop some chav from blasting out his or her appalling music out, so I assumed that I was about to become the bus hero again with my next move.

It turns out that I was wrong, or at least if I was right then nobody was going to let me know. This was a bus situation that nobody wanted to be a part of. I simply approached the woman and said that her baby was crying. Maybe she was deaf and can’t hear her baby’s distress and I am doing her a favour. She replied that she knew that the baby was crying and that there was nothing she could do. When I suggested that picking the baby up and giving it a reassuring cuddle might shut it up, she looked at me aghast. How dare I suggest such a thing? When I pointed out that she was on a bus full of people, she looked at me as if I’d suggested throwing the baby out of the bus window. Another woman on the bus took the side of the mother, telling me that I would understand if I had a child. Of course I told her that when my daughter was a baby I would try to stop her crying as soon as possible, and if she wouldn’t stop then out of consideration for my fellow bus passengers I would have got off the bus. This was met with arguments with the mother and her supporter about how babies cry and there’s nothing you can do to stop them, which of course made me repeat my suggestion that she picks her baby up and acts like a mum by showing the poor little thing some love.

I could see that I wasn’t going to win this argument, (although my comments on Twitter were supported by way of a ‘favourite’ by Kim, not only a woman but also a mother, so I knew I wasn’t totally in the wrong), despite everyone on the bus getting visibly riled by the baby’s relentless crying. It was a small baby too, so the noise was a monotone loop that went straight through you.

If this scenario had taken place in a café, restaurant, pub, (especially a pub) or anywhere else, then the parent would remove the baby from the area to deal with it. Why then, couldn’t she just get off at the next stop and try and sort the baby out, before getting back on the bus and continuing her journey? Maybe it is just me, I am annoyed by people in general if I’m honest; loud phone talkers, queue jumpers, people who get in front of you and then slow down or just stop (I put my arm out and gently move them to one side), pavement cyclists, (I NEVER get out of the way, even if they say “excuse me”, as they should be on the road), people in front of you at the counter who hand over a ten pound note for shopping worth seven pound twenty five, and then spend ages looking for the twenty five pence in change, (there’s no fucking need, the tenner covers it), the list goes on. We need to complain more, because annoying people have one major problem, they don’t know that they are annoying.

As I got off the bus, ‘Too Much Too Young’ by The Specials came on my MP3 player. As a radio presenter, a perfect link like that was a gift.

===

My daily blog can be delivered straight to your Kindle for 99p a month (link)
I'm raising money to make a film about The Sunday Alternative and put on a free screening, please read my latest newsletter.