If you've enjoyed this blog, please consider making a donation using the PayPal button. All money received will be used to make short films, podcasts, documentaries, comedy sketches and more. In return for your donations everything will be available to enjoy for free. Thanks in advance.

Friday 30 July 2010

Last of the Summer Ciggie

In a charity shop in Middlesbrough we struck up a VHS bargain.

Jay And Silent Bob Strike Back
Dr No
(chosen by Emily)
Men Behaving Badly Series 6
Life’s Most Embarrassing Moments (a video compilation of bloopers from American television in 1984)
A Simple Wish (kids film chosen by Emily, starring that girl who was Matilda and Mrs Doubtfire’s daughter. You know, the girl with the lisp.)
Titanic (another Emily choice)
Like Mike (another Emily choice)
Last of the Summer Wine Series 1

All the above for one pound.

I was annoyed that the Last of the Summer Wine set, which was a double video pack, counted as two videos. This meant that I had to put back the only tape that I had found for Charity Shop Film Guide. When I first thought of doing Charity… (or #csfguide if you mention it on twitter) I thought the charity shops were filled to bursting point with comically shit films waiting for a loving home. This does not appear to be the case and as such, I am finding it a struggle. I have about three films left to review for it and then I will have to start searching.

When Emily and Mandi were asleep, I cranked up the video to watch a bit of Last Of The Summer Wine.

It is criminal that the BBC are axing this show after so long, despite being consistently funny. I settled down to watch the very first episode.

It turned out that this was the very first episode of the series, and not the original pilot that I have somewhere in my archive of taped off the telly programmes cassettes.

It seems strange nowadays to watch a sitcom where the three main characters all smoke (indoors in public places too!), and not actually swearing beyond a ‘bloody'. There is also a faint reference to a husband killing his wife, and you thought it was all rolling down hills in a bathtub!