If you've enjoyed this blog, please consider making a donation using the PayPal button. All money received will be used to make short films, podcasts, documentaries, comedy sketches and more. In return for your donations everything will be available to enjoy for free. Thanks in advance.

Wednesday 4 March 2009

I am going to admit to having once been a big fan of Michael Jackson. My parents bought the Thriller album on vinyl, and The Making Of Thriller on VHS tape.

I could even dance like him, only better!

When I saw this classic performance at the Motown 25th Anniversary show (although I reckon it was later than 1983 as I'd have been too young to appreciate it), I was blown away. It was when he still had 'it'.

It was 'comeback' time in 1987 when the Bad album came along with another elaborate video and a raft of top selling singles, (and a new nose). The tour in 1988 was perhaps the last great performance given. The world loved Michael Jackson, and nobody seemed concerned about his friendship with Jimmy Safechuck.

I caught some of the Dangerous tour on TV in the mid 1990s, and observed that he seemingly had forgotten how to dance. Apart from some more expensive videos he kind of went off the radar for a while. He then came back on the radar for reasons we all know about.

So in 2009, with bankruptcy, questionable parenting, TWO high profile child abuse cases, and a television interview that probably seemed a good idea at the time all soured the public's relationship with the self titled King Of Pop.

Today I read that he's in the UK to announce a set of shows at the O2 arena.

This raises a few questions:

1- Can he still cut it?
2- Will it be as good as his peak singing and dancing time about the late 1980s?
3- Does anyone actually give a hoot?

I am curious to see the show if it happens, because it would satisfy the music lover in me and answer my above questions. But I don't want to see a shadow of one of the most talented pop stars of the 1980s.