I had intended to record this
week’s edition of The Sound of Nottingham UK before
going out, as I had been invited to the official launch of ROFL Audio, the
studio in Nottingham where among other things the American sessions are
recorded. However, time ran away from me as I had errands to run and although I
had all the music lined up I had no choice but to record the show when I
returned home. The launch was due to end at nine o’clock, but I didn’t leave
until after half past ten. There was also the problem of one of the tracks from
the live session not playing properly on my computer, fortunately I know the
problem and can fix it, and will open next week’s show with it. I will also
mend the session when the time comes to launch the podcast version of the
session series.
The launch came complete with
free drinks, which wasn’t that much of an issue as it was Budweiser, (driving
beer) so although I had about five bottles of it, I didn’t feel drunk. I had
the foresight to eat before I went out, but I had only had about an hour of
sleep the night before and was running on empty. While I was there I felt fine,
there was a lot going on and some great people to talk to. My NottinghamLIVE co-presenter Darren was there, as were
several singers and musicians (George Gadd and Lisa Deville performed in one of
the studios), and there were also a lot of people who I recognized but couldn’t
put names to so I kept away from them to avoid that awkward conversation where
you can’t concentrate on what they are saying because you are spending your
whole time trying to think of their names. Lloydie, a local comedian and writer
was there, and we spoke of the sitcom we were supposed to be writing together
and said that we would have to get on with it. We have this conversation every
time we meet so please don’t be holding your breath for that particular
project. Cassia, my Trent Sound protégée was also there, after a Twitter
campaign of subtle hinting for an invite during the afternoon.
It was a great evening,
although as recording studios do have a tendency to get very hot, even the
none-smokers congregated outside for a large part of the party. For once in my
life, I forgot to take my camera with me so I don’t have photographic evidence
that the event even took place, maybe I dreamt the whole thing. On the way home
I was feeling heavy of eye, and with hindsight I realise that I shouldn’t really
have sat down on the tram with my mp3 player on. The ticket inspector nudged me
to ask where I wanted to get off, and I realised that I was in Bulwell and as
such had quite dramatically overshot my journey. Of course I didn’t want to
appear uncool, (apart from the falling asleep on the tram part) so I thanked
her for waking me up at my stop and made some light comment about her perfect
timing. Of course I had to affect leaving the tram stop just in case anyone
from the tram was watching, and returned to the platform when the tram was out
of sight.
Thankfully, I had already
thought to email Robin Hood Radio to inform them that the show would definitely
be delivered and not to worry about it being a bit late. Technically I have a
fair amount of time to send it, as the show broadcasts on Friday night at
eleven o’clock in Connecticut, which is Saturday at four in the morning.
Despite this, I shouldn’t really leave it too late as they do have to load it
into their system. I desperately needed an early night in order to travel
today, but I had two episodes of Eastenders to catch
up on.
===
My daily blog can be delivered straight to your Kindle
for 99p a month (link)