The sun was shining enough to make today a safe day to go out in just a t-shirt, and although I didn't really want to go to town as I have loads of work to get through, I had a couple of errands and a meeting to attend. My meeting with a well known record shop was a highly productive one, details of which I will keep to myself for the time being due to superstition. It is worth tipping my metaphorical hat to HMV and Fopp though, as they do seem to be throwing a lot of weight into the Nottingham music scene, including playing local bands over the shop PA system. They still won't allow bands to sell their CDs though, but they have at least made a start. This attitude comes four years after I wrote this article for The Nottingham Evening Post, (as I still call it), so it is nice to see the corporate attempting to join in, especially seeing as we now only have two independent shops left. The Music Exchange do a great job with local musicians and in-store gigs, and Rob's Record Mart is too small and messy (in the nicest possible way, everyone in Nottingham is in love with the place) to do anything in. I once tried to get him to agree to having me DJ in there on a Saturday but he looked terrified at the thought.
As it was such a lovely day, and I had been buoyed by a good meeting, I decided to walk home from town. Walking through the forest I felt a few spots of rain, nothing to worry about of course, just a few drops that will probably not even register with me as it is so warm. I needed to pop into Asda to go to the toilet, and when I tried to leave there was a crowd. I looked out and couldn't see the car park for a wall of water. To make matters worse, the drains couldn't cope with it and Asda was becoming more and more cut off. There was a tide-coming-in effect happening, and although a few people adopted the 'fuck it' approach and walked through, I wasn't going to do that in Converse. In the end I did what I can't believe nobody else had thought of; I walked over the collection of supermarket trolleys that were helpfully parked along the side of the shop, causing the poor people eating in the cafe to double take.
My walk home actually took about an hour longer than it should have, as I kept having to make detours due to floods. Having managed to stay relatively dry, I managed to navigate around without getting soaked. Just before me house, I had to climb on walls to get home, it was reminiscent of that game you used to play as a kid where you weren't allowed to touch the ground.
===
My daily blog can be delivered to your Kindle for 99p a month (link)