If you've enjoyed this blog, please consider making a donation using the PayPal button. All money received will be used to make short films, podcasts, documentaries, comedy sketches and more. In return for your donations everything will be available to enjoy for free. Thanks in advance.

Saturday 2 January 2021

It is something that can give comfort, but I cannot join in with this rose-tinted idea that 2021 is magically going to be better than 2020. Of course we will all remember 2020 and it was nice to see it end, but I have a feeling that the year ahead is going to be nothing more than an action replay. Perhaps this time it won't quite have the same spirit as the start of the lockdown, there will be a lot less banana bread this time around for a start.

Obviously most sectors have taken a kicking, but I can only speak on behalf of the entertainment industry. It has been shit. Maybe that's harsh, at least to start with there was a proliferation of live streams by musicians, comedians and actors staging plays and it was good to see everyone making the best of a bad situation. The downside of course being that a shitload of money was lost and although it is nice watching a musician perform without a load of people talking over them, I personally cannot wait to get out to gigs again. It seems likely that another lockdown is on the cards, which we need. Having different towns and cities in different levels of restrictions is, to use a phrase I have seem meme'd around social media, like having a pissing section of a swimming pool.

With the correct restrictions and safety measures in place, I don't see any reason why certain areas of live entertainment can't be reopened. Financially speaking it will put pressure on theatres and arenas to have to scale down the audiences, but a comedy club setting with cabaret style seating can be distanced enough to not even require the audiences to wear a mask, after all we managed during the brief period that pubs and restaurants reopened in the summer. 

Worse than not being able to go to the pub is not being able to see family. I was lucky enough to spend time at my daughter's house in Scotland last year and was impressed at how Scotland (I can only speak for Aberdeen to be fair) were handling the situation. Social distancing and masks were the normal sight and even pubs appeared to be safe. What ruined it for me was getting back to Nottingham and seeing how blasé people were. Christmas shopping was an even bigger nightmare this year because people had started to ignore all the guidelines that were put in place. On another family note, in January I held my six month old twin nephew and niece then watched them grow up on videos and photographs, along with the other little people who call me Uncle Steve and that upsets me as well as not being able to see my dad, my mum and stepdad and my brother and sisters. 

So here's to a slightly better 2021, once we have been vaccinated and shit calms down we can hopefully start to slowly return to the way of life that we all miss. I even missed those annoying fuckers that crawl out from under a stone every December and take over the pub.


======

Help me to make films, documentaries, podcasts comedy sketches and more (even in the current situation) by making a donation using this PayPal link. Everything created using donations will be released online totally free of charge without adverts. Be a part of something special and thanks in advance.

The word 'underfollowed' is still on my bio on social media. I am good on there but sadly not enough people get to enjoy it. If you follow me already then recommend me to your followers, if you don't then please hit these links:

Twitter
Instagram
Facebook
YouTube