If you've enjoyed this blog, please consider making a donation using the PayPal button. All money received will be used to make short films, podcasts, documentaries, comedy sketches and more. In return for your donations everything will be available to enjoy for free. Thanks in advance.

Monday 7 January 2019


There were still a fair number of festive decorated houses when I went for a walk with Jack on January 2nd, inspiring me to come up with a song that sounded great until I got home and realised I couldn't remember it. One of my favourite pastimes as a kid was seeing how much Christmas was left and how long for, houses decorated until 6th January and those items that are missed out such as public Christmas trees still up in towns until well into January. What amuses me is that the decorations are removed and the tree remains, probably the result of some internal work-to-rule within the council. 

I was annoyed to see that a load of household shite had been fly tipped on the pathway near to my house. The sad thing was that this had been dumped on Christmas Day, and it seemed to consist of decorations and a fake tree among a load of clothing and kitchen stuff. I noticed this on Boxing Day morning, which is how I know this was dumped on Christmas Day. Maybe a massive row took place, perhaps prompted by an underdone turkey, and one of the couple decided in a fit of rage that Christmas was over. 

Although I feel, even with my lack of seasonal fucks to give, that it is nice to see a tree up in a sitting room when I walk past, I am alarmed to see that at least three houses on our dog walk had a full on outside light show going on that would shame Clark Griswold on the second. Do you really feel festive so long after the main event? I used to insist on Christmas lasting for the whole period but now I am all done by Christmas Day afternoon if I'm honest.

The above picture summed it up for me, taken just up the road from my house. The pressure of Christmas had obviously been too much for someone who couldn't even be arsed to remove the decorations and just wanted it all to be over. 

The householder came out of the front door and asked why I was taking a picture of his bin. My response was probably not what he was expecting. I told him that I was photographing his festive wheelie bin because it was a work of art and when the binmen (or whatever you call them nowadays - environmental cleanliness operatives or something) chuck it in the back of the truck it will be gone forever and the art world will suffer for the loss. His face was the very definition of confusion.

I'm thinking of getting it printed and turned into Christmas cards.

 ****

Enjoyed this blog?

Please make a donation using the PayPal button at the top of the page. It all goes towards creating comedy sketches, documentaries, films, podcasts and more, and in return for your generosity everything created will be released online totally free of charge.

You can help to remove the word 'underfollowed' from my bio by following me on Twitter and Facebook