If you've enjoyed this blog, please consider making a donation using the PayPal button. All money received will be used to make short films, podcasts, documentaries, comedy sketches and more. In return for your donations everything will be available to enjoy for free. Thanks in advance.

Friday 4 January 2019


I have written before about how the Kimberley Sessions is one of, if not my favourite gig to attend, and after the December edition it was nice to be able to enjoy it from a comfortable vantage point rather than from the stage. For the December show, Bill Kerry III and I both thought it would be a good idea for me to read A Christmas Carol in between the bands, we were wrong. The bit in between acts is for talking even louder than you do when the acts are playing, going to the bar and going outside for a cigarette. Not one person paid any attention so things fell apart a bit. I missed an entire chapter too as I found out the news that Pete Shelley had passed away so I coerced Bainy and James (aka Salisbury and Bain and half of Blue Vulture) to perform an impromptu tribute. Also as the last two acts were Selfish Gaiden and Frankie Vacuum, and before them Deke Hardman, I decided to rush through the end of the story and make it as offensive and sweary as possible which at least got a few laughs. For good measure I joined Frankie Vacuum onstage for a tasteful rendition of Gary Glitter's song 'Another Rock 'n' Roll Christmas'

January however was back to normal and a strong line up to kick off the new year with a high bar already set. What made this a special one was that all the acts stayed on and came together for a jam session at the end, something that isn't always possible but on this occasion it worked. Martin Gallimore kicked it off, someone I want for The Random Sessions, and making their debut, I seem to remember having a hand in suggesting them, Malin Hill. They went down really well I am glad to report, especially as the line up was folk leaning, this is my friend Gary's project (formerly of Prefontaine, a band I supported heavily on radio which of course led to their inevitable demise) and will no doubt go far. Borderland Folk were another new to me band, although it is made up of Martin Carey from King of Rome, Misk Hills Mountain Rambler III and Terry Faulkner, thus keeping in with the Kimberley rule that you have to be in more than one band. Again I want these for The Random Sessions and we discussed a way of making a special episode to promote an album they have made with others of traditional mining songs. 

After such a strong start to the year of Kimberley Sessions, I can't wait to see what they have in store for February. 

 ****

Enjoyed this blog?

Please make a donation using the PayPal button at the top of the page. It all goes towards creating comedy sketches, documentaries, films, podcasts and more, and in return for you generosity everything created will be released online totally free of charge.

You can help to remove the word 'underfollowed' from my bio by following me on Twitter and Facebook