If you've enjoyed this blog, please consider making a donation using the PayPal button. All money received will be used to make short films, podcasts, documentaries, comedy sketches and more. In return for your donations everything will be available to enjoy for free. Thanks in advance.

Thursday 1 September 2016


Yes, there is going to be a sequel, maybe I will do one every year and become known as the kazoo version of Bing Crosby and get asked to do one of those traditional Christmas television specials. Last year I thought of the idea to do the album at the last minute, I will have to check the entries in last year's diary to be sure (I make a detailed log of when I record things, release things, gig somewhere, write articles and so on - all written in different colours for each project) but I recorded the album last year in December while I was promoting it. This year was far more organised, as evidenced by the list of songs in one of my notebooks that is headed by the date 17 April 2016. Written next to two of the songs is the date 14 July 2016, the recording dates, and at the moment I haven't got round to recording the other eight. My plan is to get them recorded next week in order to make the necessary tinkerings quickly and get the whole album online, but not released, for another part of my plan.

Last year I didn't do any proper publicity for the album, so this year I am prepared. Today I wrote a press release for the album which accompany a copy of the album going out to as many magazines, reviewers, and bloggers as possible, both in the fields of music and comedy. Whether or not it gets reviewed remains to be seen but I am prepared for what happens next, this is essentially a chance for people to get their own back on me. Maybe they should get Jake Bugg to review it?

Of course if it gets roundly panned then I will just fight back with an explanation about them missing the point. It isn't really supposed to be viewed (or listened to) as a music work, but as an exercise in art and comedy, to show how one self-indulgent idea can be stretched out into a battle between audience and performer. Anyone who has ever been to a terrible play or gig will understand. One of my big dreams would be to host a launch party at a live music venue and perform both albums back to back to a bewildered audience who can't stop thinking back to the 2010 World Cup and the fact that the television coverage was ruined by the constant hum of the vuvuzela. I did once consider (inspired of course by the premise of The Producers that you could make more money staging a flop than a hit) hiring out a theatre or even an arena to put on a one-man kazoo performance, making sure to take an an insurance policy on it not making money so when it inevitably tanked I would be quids in and then who would be laughing? Me that's who, which as far as I am concerned is all that matters.

===

 This week's edition of The Sunday Alternative is here. (Bank Holiday Special)
The latest episode of The Random Saturday Sessions is here.

Thank you in advance for donating using the PayPal button at the top of this page. It all goes towards creating podcasts, sketches, documentaries, films and more, all of which I will make available for free in return for your generosity.