If you've enjoyed this blog, please consider making a donation using the PayPal button. All money received will be used to make short films, podcasts, documentaries, comedy sketches and more. In return for your donations everything will be available to enjoy for free. Thanks in advance.

Sunday 26 October 2014

© Harold Lloyd Entertainment Inc

I took full advantage of the changing of the clocks this morning by thoroughly enjoying my extra hour in bed, to the point where I didn’t find the time to record the podcast before lunch. If I hadn’t been pissing about on Twitter making fun of International Robin Hood Day then I might have clawed back some time along the line, but I don’t want to be pressured so I simply made my notes and got my music together before going to my dad’s for lunch. The podcast wasn’t recorded until teatime and went online shortly afterwards, so at least I haven’t broken the chain. I have already made a New Year’s resolution for 2015 (something I don’t usually do) to do at least one creative ‘thing’ every day and keep a note of it in my desk diary. I’ve become less productive this year and achievement wise I am down on last year, so at least if I can do one thing, whether it is to write a couple of pages of a script, recording a podcast, or filming then I can mark it with a cross in my diary. Writing my daily blog does count as having written something (I have to write a minimum of 500 words, no maximum, these are my rules), but I am only allowing myself to fall back on having only done that twice in any given week, otherwise I will become lazy again. This rule also includes any time that I am on holiday, (even though I don’t really enjoy holidays as such, or maybe because of that), and also my birthday and Christmas Day, two occasions that don’t exactly delight me any more to be honest. Maybe I’m just turning into a grumpy old man before my time, but all I want to do is force my slow moving career into another gear. I read Richard Herring’s daily blog and can see his frustration at abandoned projects and his openness in admitting that the big time has passed him by, causing him to perform to small audiences at times and lose money experimenting in ambitious projects that he is only doing because television won’t take a chance. I may have written this on the blog before so I apologise if I’m repeating myself, but I am scared of my headstone reading ‘Here lays Steve Oliver. He said he said he was going to do things. He didn’t’.

More nonsensical postings on Twitter and Facebook today of course, (pity I don’t get paid for messing about) as today is one of my two favourite days of the year. What makes these two days a joy for me is the state of confusion we wander around in when we wake up on what I will now refer to as ‘clock change Sunday’. My favourite thing in the world is to point out that the time isn’t the real time. On the way to my dad’s I was stopped by a kid on a bike who asked me for the time. I took great delight in telling him that it was quarter past one, but in real life it was quarter past two; I don’t think he understood what I meant.

===
My daily blog can be delivered straight to your Kindle for 99p a month (link)
Listen to The Sunday Alternative here

All donations received via the PayPal button above will be used to fund creative projects such as podcasts, short films, documentaries, comedy sketches and a whole lot more. You are under no obligation of course, but thanks in advance if you do drop something in the pot.